Saturday, October 30, 2010

Between the massif of medium and Ivy Elite

Implementation to day 9: 00 a.m., October 27: commentator said too pink Middle image? see the end of this post.

There has been much talk about this season political elitism Ivy League.Ma own background - membership and even quite belonging to the elite - step makes me very confrontational.

Monday, I gave a seminar (first step) to my undergraduate alma mater, Bowling Green State University, located in my hometown, Bowling Green, Ohio .c ' is a very good audience, and I've enjoyed as always interacting with my former teachers, my first mentors in economy, Charles Chittle, John Hoag and Leo Navin, along with a BGSU generation of professors stars, Timothy Fuerst. I gave a presentation to my old high school (BGHS) and was very impressed with the knowledge and smarts of students (A template club) and Professor of social sciences and Humanities who me, Theresa Dunn, hosted on development subjects.

Earlier this year, I attended a ceremony where I was one of 100 alumni who were "among the most prominent" of BGSU first 100 years, 1910-2010 ".Some of my friends mocked obtain me a price as it was a little easier to BGSU it would have been, say, Harvard, and I played with self-deprecating maximale.Encore award ceremony, I felt very humbled by the rest of 100 impressive how were, with the realization of high scientific entrepreneur actors, artists and athletes.

My experience of Bowling Green always remember how American economic development is not just built on a bicoastal, elite who went to the elite high schools and universities, but very wide and deep Middle America (usually dissed as "Overview America"). ?Elite bicoastal itself is not a fixed inherited class, but he himself is renewed constantly with new recruits in the same broad, medium where I come from.

?? The mass medium also provides an upward mobility in the poorest regions. My family lived in one of the poorest regions of the United States, the Appalachian mountains of Virginia and West Virginia for seven generations. My father grew up in West Virginia in the South during the depression, having lost her father at the age of 2 TB.Hard-working again thanks to his mother and his own hard work, he received a PhD at the University of Virginia Western (WVU) and then got a job as a Professor of biology at BGSU .the ' education funded by the Government as WVU, BGSU and BGHS is also contributing to create massive way.

After that, I'm a bit conflicted about the Elite Ivy League.I don't like the anti-intellectual against this elite (from the Middle) attacks.I meet many all incredibly intelligent and creative I know them who belong to this elite.Unlike the perception of the attackers in the Middle East, elite universities do an excellent job to produce ideas of world calibre and achievements.

At the same time, I do not like the claims of some members of the elite who despise both and who think that they are able to contribute to our development only.

After having been on both sides in the Middle East and Elite, it seems to me that BOTH are examples of success in itself and BOTH played their part in miracle of America's development.

PostScript 9 AM October 27th update: one commentator suggested my portrait of medium is too pink and mentions the "cult of mediocrity."I agree that this existe.Au Bowling Green, Junior High and High School regularly faced threats of reductions in their programs (already limited) students doués.Et yes I perceived that many people at Bowling Green had anti-intellectual, both values when I was and now that feed a "cult of mediocrity."Bowling Green diversified (verification of thought as the headquarters of the local intelligentsia coffee field) but there are to many people to recognize and encourage those who do well in school.

This entry transmitted via the service for full-text RSS - if this is your content and you read on someone to another site, please read our FAQ page fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php
Article five filters features: After Hiroshima - non-rapport Cancer Catastrophe of Fallujah.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment